Green Industry and SME Development in Cambodia
Green SMEs are small and medium-sized enterprises that operate environmentally and sustainably. In Cambodia, MSMEs (Micro-, Small and Medium-sized Enterprises) are the backbone of the economy and constitute more than 90 percent of firms in Cambodia. In 2018, MSMEs created over 70 percent of employment opportunities and more than 50 percent of the annual Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Green industry is one of the important topics for SMEs to follow, but it is difficult to invest to go green by SMEs itself. Creating new idea or seeking for more efficient way of going green, it is essential to have partners that can stimulate their thoughts and elevate both capacity and talents, especially in green industries. 2023 is the year of 70 years anniversary of friendship between Japan and Cambodia. The research aims to create the opportunity to think of how and what is the important key to cooperate and co-create both grow in their business especially in the green and SME development. This survey will be a collaboration project with JETRO, the secretariat drafting the ASEAN-Japan economic co-creation vision.
We will conduct desk reviews and stakeholder consultations. We will conduct a desk review of relevant literature to offer a comprehensive overview of the current state of the Green SME ecosystem and the policy landscape. In addition, we will conduct focus group discussions with 20 representatives from green SME firms and business associations. The study aims to answer the following questions:
- Views on ASEAN-Japan Economic Co-Creation Vision working draft.
- What areas of green industry can Cambodia benefit from collaboration with Japan?
- How to co-create the business opportunities or grow together between Cambodia and Japanese companies in green industries?
- What are the most significant challenges for green SMEs facing in Cambodia? What are opportunities for green industry and SMEs in Cambodia?
- What are the most significant impacts of green SMEs on the Cambodian economy?